Did you know…
- the first cook book published in America in 1796 had a recipe for “watermelon rind pickles”?
- the peach originated in China and it is considered the “tree of life” and symbolizes “unity”? Chinese brides even carry peach blossoms in their wedding bouquets!
- in Italy,the average person consumes 51 pounds of pasta per year, while in America, we consume 15 1/2 pounds of pasta per year?
- peaches are a good source of vitamins A, B, and C?
- in 1990, Bill Carson, from Tennessee, grew the largest watermelon? It was 262 pounds!
- Lasagna is the favorite food of the cartoon character, Garfield?
- early explorers used watermelons as canteens?
- on April 17, 2007, the Oklahoma State Senate passed a bill declaring the watermelon as the official state “vegetable”? There was disagreement as many consider watermelon to be a “fruit”.
- watermelons contain lycopene, which is an antioxidant?