I hope that everyone had fun last week trying out some of the ideas to stay active. I have a few more for you to try. One suggestion I have is to keep a list of all these ideas, and some of your own, so that if there is ever a day when you cannot think of anything to keep yourself busy, all you have to do is check your list. Enjoy!
1. At a family or friend’s sporting event? Instead of taking your folding chair or a book, wear comfortable shoes and take a walk around the field during the game. You can still cheer while you’re walking. Or, if you get there early enough, you can take your walk before the game starts.
2. Bad weather? Take a mall walk. Invite a friend along and agree to do one quick lap for some harder exercise, and then one moderate lap for a little bit of window shopping — then repeat, one fast lap/one relaxed.
3. Take advantage of your sidewalk. It’s there, it’s free, and all you need is a good pair of running shoes to use it. Begin gradually, with a 15-minute light jog. Start walking slowly for about two to three minutes, then pick up your pace for 10 minutes and cool down for another two or three minutes. Each week, add two to three minutes to the faster portion of your jog. Within a couple weeks, you’ll be up to 30 minutes or more!
4. Sweep and weed your sidewalk at least once a week. Developing a habit of keeping your front yard tidy will make it more inviting to others, giving you a chance to say hello to your neighbors while you’re weeding. And, for every 20 minutes of vigorous yard work, you will burn about 100 calories!
5. Plan a family picnic a couple miles from your house and walk there. You’ll not only be burning calories on the way there and working up an appetite, you’ll also be burning more on the way back after eating that great, healthy lunch you prepared!
Until next week,
Today’s Fun Fact: Each 5 miles per hour you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $.10 per gallon for gas, so slow down. It’s not only safer, it’s cheaper, too!
Amazing Athletes of Oklahoma